Monday, October 17, 2005

Bathed in Grey

Soothing to the eyes, and always so comfortable.
I have a grey shirt that always brings me peace.
A grey tee shirt that makes me feel good.
A grey sweater that warms me.

I have several photos of grey pebbles, that for some odd reason bring me a sense of calm. There is something clean about the color, clean and simple.

My mother always hated it when I wore a particular grey shirt with off-white buttons. It made me look pale. I agree, it isn't the most fitting color for my complexion. But it offers so much more than those shirts that "bring out the eyes." Maybe I like grey shirts specifically because they ask nothing of me. In fact, no one does. I don't have worry about using mascara or the right amount of blush to bring out the cheekbones. I will look pale no matter what, and I don't mind. I will blur into the background of city faces and stone buildings, dirtied sidewalks and bleached skies. No one asks me for anything. No one hollars at me while carrying a 40oz. No one even asks me for a quarter before I walk down the stairs to the subway.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
I know this is perhaps the strangest entry I have ever written. But I had to.
I obviously wore grey today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm partial to the color blue myself--maybe a bluish grey. Yeah, that'd be good.

Frank Partisan said...

I don't buy the blur into the background description.

I remember when I first found your blog. I thought it was some of the best writing in blogdom. Your writing flows, to activism and involvement. As much as you fade into background, my instincts tell me not to get on your bad side.

Thank you for mentioning Fanon. I read "The Wretched of the Earth", during the anti-Vietnam war days. It brought back memories.

Instead of fading into the background in grey; I see someone who'll be a brilliant lawyer, and if we're lucky an author.

Frank Partisan said...

Just a note.

Please write about politics more. I then will email my friends who have blogs, to come here. Thanx