Wednesday, August 16, 2006

First Alpine Climb!


View of Matthes Crest, Yosemite

I have been indoor rock climbing for almost two years now, but before a week ago I had only been outdoors once. The reason for this is that in order to climb outside, you must make a pretty large investment in equipment. Therefore, I am reliant upon the generosity of other climbers that already have this equipment.

On Sunday I climbed Matthes Crest in Yosemite with my boyfriend, his uncle, and a mutual friend. Matthes Crest overlooks Echo Lake to the west, which is a 5-6 mile hike from Tuolumne Meadows. It was my first Alpine climb. We scaled over 1000 feet. Once we were at the top, we were about 10,000 feet above sea level. We started hiking up the mountain at around 7:30am and didn't return to camp until about 6pm that night---with no real rests!

Looking at the image above, we hiked to the right side of the crest, scaled the right side with three pitches, then continued across the mountain (which included some upward climbs, some down climbs, and some horizontal walking/climbing.

2 comments:

Reidski said...

Well done ella, what an achievement. It looks like an awesome climb, but, of course, nothing that Scotland cannot offer ..... which I, of course, have climbed .... NOT!!!! :-)

Frank Partisan said...

Isn't it hard on your feet, like cobblestone in Paris?